Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rep. Dold: Do as I say, not as I do...

WHEN YOU SIT DOWN to honor the leading political hypocrites of our day, be sure to mention Rep. Robert Dold, the Republican congressman from Winnetka, Ill. I know. He's not a household word in your neighborhhood, but he's getting there. He's a freshman, so there's time.

Thanks to HuffPost, we learn that Dold was happily on hand to cut the ribbon for a $4.9 million restoration of a train station in Winnetka, a project paid for with stimulus money. So Dold, who knows a photo-op when he hears of one, stepped up with scissors in hand (he's front and center of the photo).

Trouble is, the stimulus was passed before he got into Congress. And here' what he said before he arrived on Capitol Hill:

"I myself think that what's going on right now is our out -of - control spending is just that - out of control. We need to make sure we're not raising taxes. We need to focus on how to get people back to work...We need to be pro-growth and pro-jobs strategies out there."

As well as out-of - control pro-ribbon-cutting, I'd say.

I humbly offer his name for Grumpy Abe's Linguistic Lunacy (GALL) award.


No comments: